Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Peanut Butter Dilemma

One of the many questions I hear a lot is, "Why do you use Sunflower Butter?" I know that everyone has their own opinions and their own jar of something like this in the pantry. Whether it's Sunflower Butter, Almond Butter, Cashew Butter, or Peanut Butter this type of product has become a staple. Let's start off with the fact I initially had a jar of Jif in my cupboard. I did a direct comparison of my label to the Sunflower Butter and found that in nearly every aspect it was a healthier choice. I was also able to get a table together so that you could directly compare some labels too!


Creamy Peanut Butter 
Jif
MaraNatha All Natural Roasted Almond ButterMaraNatha All Natural Sunflower Seed Butter
Net Weight16 oz16 oz12 oz
Cost$4.29$8.99$4.99
IngredientsMADE FROM ROASTEDPEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.AlmondsSunflower seed kernels, sea salt
Calories per serving size
(2 tbsp)
190180180
Total Fat16g16g12g
Saturated Fat2.5g1g1.5g
Trans Fat0g0g0g
Cholesterol0mg0mg0mg
Sodium140mg0mg65mg
Carbs8g6g8g
Fiber2g4g4g
Sugar3g2g<1g
Protein7g7g9g


Nutrition: I selected Sunflower butter because it had fewer ingredients, fewer calories, less fat, far less sodium, more fiber, less sugar, and more protein. 

Cost: I chose sunflower butter because it was rather comparable to peanut butter in cost. I find almond butter to be too expensive. 

Taste: I found that I prefer the taste of Sunflower Butter over Peanut Butter BAR NONE. I have always been a bit unhappy with the flavor of peanut butter, not much of a fan. When I tried sunflower butter I loved it! It's rich and creamy and doesn't have questionable ingredients. 

The best thing you can do when you are trying to eat healthier is look at the alternatives that are out there and compare them directly. For me it always comes down to nutrition, cost, and taste. I don't have the money to waste as a single mother with a very fixed income. So I felt for my buck, the sunflower butter was a good choice. I realize that every brand is different and has different labels, this is by no means meant to be the end all be all, feel free to check out the labels at your local store and see what works for you! 

I hope this helps!!

Happy Packing

*This was previously posted by me on my old blog, thought it would be useful to bring over*

4 comments:

  1. Great comparison chart! I haven't tried Sunflower seed butter (or WOWbutter) but would like to. I have an oddball kid that isn't really a fan of PB in general, so Almond butter is what we usually get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! Monkey isn't too picky (luckily) but I haven't ever been much of a fan. It's definitely become a fan favorite in our home. As you can see, I would strongly recommend it! Have a great day!

      Happy Packing!

      Delete
  2. Another great benefit of sunflower butter is that it is safe for most people with peanut/tree nut allergies, so you can bring it to school or the park without making someone with a nut allergy ill. And it really does taste delicious! Especially with bananas, or honey, or just a bit of chocolate... yummy stuff! Love your comparison chart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love that about it too! I have recommended this seed butter to many people that have told me of their tree nut allergies! It's a great alternative if you have a nut free school or like you said, to be considerate to those around you that might have such an allergy. Downside it can be a little messy! Lol, I made ants on a log with it tonight and it got all over my fingers. :P Thanks for the comment, I am glad you like the comparison chart. :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts, ideas, questions and comments! I appreciate any feedback!