Wednesday, January 22, 2014

2014 -- 013

A Little Bit of Everything

Things have been hectic the last few days with my car being broken down. I missed work and much to Monkey's dismay, she had to walk home from school. Luckily, we were able to get it checked out and it was just a battery issue! New battery in and now we're back in business. I was in SERIOUS need of a trip to the store. Here's one of those 'little bit of everything' lunches I pack when I don't have the items for the planned lunch. Ignore the My Little Pony font I used for my name this time in the photo, I have been working on tags and signs for Monkey's birthday party (yes, I have started working on her September birthday in January!) and forgot to change it back. Haha.



IN THIS LUNCH: 

  • Leftover Sausage - We like to have sausage slices in our spaghetti so we set aside a few slices for her lunch since it's one of her favs!
  • Annie's Organic Cheddar Bunnies
  • Carrots
  • Grape Tomatoes
  • Cottage Cheese w/ Pepper
  • Horizon Organic Strawberry Milk (not pictured)
In your home do you buy organic? I'd never even given any thought to organics until a couple years ago when I really started getting interested in food, nutrition, and where food comes from/how it's made. I do not buy everything organic but there are some things I do spend the extra money on (though I don't typically say which of my items are organic except for products that include it in the name), especially when it comes to produce. Have you heard of the dirty dozen/clean fifteen? It's a good rule of thumb when buying produce to know which items are highest in pesticides and other yuckies vs the items you can just wash up and be okay with. I feel most comfortable buying non-organic for things I do not eat the outside of the product like melon and avocado. Thing I eat the skin I prefer organic whenever possible. Plus, in my local grocery store, the organic stuff usually ends up on sale for about what the regular costs so I snag a little extra then! Some things like grapes and berries freeze really well!



This lunch was shared on the "Leftovers on Friday" link up. :) Check it out. 
Leftovers on Fridays


4 comments:

  1. Jacey, I buy all organic for the Dirty Dozen, too. I'm like you, if we eat the skin, I buy organic. I buy regular for the other fruits and veggies. I also buy organic/all-natural meats when they are on sale...way too expensive otherwise. This is a great lunch...wish my little guy would eat cottage cheese. BTW, I like the My Little Pony font! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Tracy! I love hearing about what works for your family. Organic can be a bit more expensive (especially depending on the store). I'm glad that my store tends to have those items on sale for about what the regular costs. For boxed items, milk, etc... I write the companies for coupons to help augment the cost of their products. I know some kiddos have a weird texture issue with cottage cheese, but luckily my monkey loves it (just like me!!). Hope to see your feedback again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea to write the companies. I gonna try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love this lunch! So colorful. Thanks for sharing at Leftovers on Fridays

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts, ideas, questions and comments! I appreciate any feedback!